Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 6: Nerd Starter Kit

Well, I'm not normally a realism guy, but I thought I'd give it a whirl. Normally, I like to make some sort of statement or story with my work, even if it's a study of some sort.

This day was different. I wanted to find something to paint and looked down at a couple of objects I'd left on the table after work: a Uniball pen and my fake glasses.

About halfway through, I realized there was still a bit of a statement behind this: kind of a self-portrait through my tools of the trade: nerd glasses and a good sketching pen. I had fun trying to work out the shadows. I probably did them wrong, but Adolf "Harpo" Marx died thinking he needed harp lessons and Van Gogh died practicing, essentially, Art 101, thinking he'd failed. I hope not to kick myself and just enjoy the learning process.

1 comment:

  1. 'K. Here I am. I'm psyched to read about your process and even though I can hear about it, there's something cool about getting to see it all together with the paintings. xo

    ReplyDelete