Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 4: Yellowbeard


Still not having a system for deciding on what I will paint and when, I kind of fly by the seat of my pants. Also, I was still at the Sister-In-Law's house, still without a routine built in. I had to pull myself away from watching cable TV with the nephew and his college chum (a rare treat since we never got a digital converter box for our squirrel-powered TV at home).

I play an online game (variations of the game of Risk, played over days, weeks, or months with other Internet dorks at warfish.net.) Some other user's avatar kept jumping out at me: a cropped movie still from Yellowbeard. It's a compelling photo because of the intense crazy in Graham Chapman's eyes. I don't think I captured his particular crazy, but I'm still happy with the results, even if he looks a little like Aquaman from his angry years.

It's interesting to me since I don't really write a journal or keep a diary or anything, but whenever I look at old sketchbooks, I remember what I was feeling when I drew things, and often the surrounding circumstances of that day. I'm not sure I would remember quite as much from this trip to New Jersey if I hadn't painted these things while there.

Side note: since I painted this, I haven't been haunted by the avatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment