Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 10: I Will Finish What I …


I imagine those with an artistic mind, overachievers, people with ADD/ADHD, and parents should know this feeling/anxiety. How this came about: I was flipping through sketchbooks looking for inspiration for today’s painting and I found this rough idea scrawled in a margin. I finished filling that sketchbook in 1996. I thought it was funny then, and I think it’s funny now. What’s funnier is the idea remained in a sketchbook for over 13 years!

It was particularly fun to use paint to create a chalkboard. I worked a lot with the wet paint and studied a number of reference photos to get that mostly-erased look on the background, which came out way more trompe l’oeil than I expected. I’ve been learning a bit with masks in Photoshop of late and I’m seeing that masking tape is the primitive form of that technique. It’s pretty awesome in both the analog and digital worlds. Photoshop enables much more complex masking, but even just a straight strip of tape can create delightful results.

No comments:

Post a Comment