Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 2: Daddy Issues


My first post didn't really talk much about the actual painting (entitled, "Thing," which I'll do here.

The first painting, yesterday, was pulled out of my sketchbook. I used to looooove the Addams Family and have made it a mission to learn to draw hands. Hands are often thought by artists as difficult to render. I agree. For a long time, I squiggled my way through hands with the excuse "I'm a cartoonist; I don't need to draw them right." until I was traveling in Germany in 1992 and really noticed Uderzo's Asterix: beautifully rendered throughout, but the hands were anatomically accurate. Five fingered hands -- none of this Disneyized four-fingered crap.

(for more on that subject, there's an awesome graphic novel by Rich Koslowski named Three Fingers)

This current painting was another browse-through-sketchbooks (I have 20 years' worth of random scrawls) ... Anyone who grew up with a dad or a mom (or who is a dad or a mom) probably knows this situation. It's not specifically autobiographical (though my dad had a set of lungs and a temper to fuel it) but actually more inspired by a loudmouthed friend of mine who recently has become a father.

Since it's the second painting in the series, I'm still finding my hand, it's still a fresh project, and since I hadn't painted really in 2 years, kind of shaky still. But I'm happy with the results. One particular thing that really enthralled me was the colors through the glass to give that translucent effect. I'd never done that before. I think I did it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment