Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 49: Three Dark Figures

Same thing as Day 47: Had some extra paint and swirled it around. I love to play contrasts against each other. One thing that always bugs me about looking at the works of young artists (including my early sketchs/paintings) is a reluctance to commit to line or shape, and as a result, everything comes out grey/muddy. I'm still guilty of that at times, but I try to always keep that in mind. For years, all the works in my sketchbooks have been drawn in ink. Why? partially to force the contrasts: nothing stronger than white against black. But also, pencil will smear over time. Archival ink, baby! The only drawback (no pun intended) with ink sketches is with the inevitable mistake: you have three choices: cover, transform, or start over. (ok, there's white-out and/or pasting a paper splice on top, but that requires time and effort, and it's less fun.)

Why am I talking about sketchbooks here, when this image happened directly on the canvas? I don't know. It's a blog. I think my mind's allowed to wander.

In any case, spending a significant chunk of my formative years in comic books, Renaissance faires, science fiction conventions and Medieval re-enactment has these figures kind of etched into my brain fibers. Cloaked figures. Red sky. Working their way through the eerie ... uh ... portal? Kind of a spooky Dungeons & Dragons scene or something.

Hm. Reading the above, I think I might be a geek.

No comments:

Post a Comment