Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 45: Rocky Mountains Wolf


The wife requested this. I'm not big on landscapes so it was good to be pushed. Played with some stippling techniques. I was pleased. I've also long had trouble depicting animals. Well, realism in general has always been a struggle for me, since it takes practice, dedication, and a desire to take photographs with the brush. I figure photographs were meant for cameras.

Interestingly, I had a beautiful day in the autumn, spending a day communing with nature in the woods behind our house, hanging with the dog, and feeling the last of the late Autumn yellow and red leaves breathe. I left the dog to his devices for a few minutes and climbed up a half-fallen tree and just felt the majesty of the woods. I was still long enough that a huge flock of migrating birds perched for a few minutes. Then they took off, mere feet above my head ... the thunder of their wings was just magical, like I could hear the muscles and tendons wrapped around their hollow bones, and feel their hearts beating as one as they effortlessly defied gravity. It kills me that birds can fly just as easy as it is for us to walk. All they have to trade for it is having hands. Would I trade flight for the ability to juggle, paint, or perform basic hygiene? Hmmm...

That had nothing to do with this painting ... I just wanted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment