Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 43: Navigation


I don’t know how much I should say about this one (or any of them for that matter) as I want people to enjoy the works through their own filters. In fact, before reading on, you might want to think about what this means to you.

Once upon a time, I would draw or paint something and if people didn’t “get” exactly what I envisioned, I’d be hurt that they didn’t see what I wanted them to. I’ve been noticing since I started this project, I’ve found myself genuinely interested in what other people see. Sometimes it’s better than what I saw. Sometimes it’s evidence that I need to expand on my technical skill.

In any case, I’ve given you ample time to form your own vision on this painting. To me, it’s the guide: whether a parent, older sibling, teacher, or random saint (those sorts of wise folks you occasionally meet while traveling through life who may not even realize the effect they have). Someone whose life has basically shot them full of holes. We all have them. Sometimes literal, physical scars; emotional, energetic, … I think part of the healing process is to guide others through those injuries to the soul. Hence, “Navigation.”

Other people have seen different things in it. They're not wrong. What do you see?

No comments:

Post a Comment