Thursday, December 3, 2009

Day 37: Clouds


From inside, looking outward? I imagined looking out from inside the hollow of a tree. Anything else is in the eye of the beholder.

I love trees. When I was in Thailand, enjoying the natural wonders they sometimes mix into their omelettes, I put my hand on the trunk of a palm tree, and ever since then, they have had a grounding effect. We all like looking at trees (at least, I hope) but there’s something really special about putting your hand on these creatures rooted in the same earth that feeds us and is the foundation of all our endeavors.

When working with environmental educators, it became clear that people focused on air and water, yet we take our soil for granted. The best soil to grow food on is also the best soil on which to build a shopping mall. Or a road.

So I like trees, and I can think of few things more peaceful than sitting inside the womb of a tree, safely looking outward. Well, in theory, as long as the bugs stay out of my pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment