Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 18: Self Portrait


Interestingly, the photo reference is from a photo I took myself, at arm's length. So really, this is a self-portrait of a self-portrait.


I’ve had thoughts of scotch-taping this one to Day 16: “You’ve Said a Mouthful” and making it a Halloween mask. They look really funny together. Maybe I’ll try that as a painting sometime. I haven’t yet really revisited any ideas because I keep getting new ones. It’s a double-edged sword: do I go for the shiny, pretty new idea, or do I develop an already explored one? I might make a week or a month of revisits, because there are a few that I want to try again and improve on.

This painting came out of a conversation with a vicarious artistic friend who keeps saying if I don't learn anything and stretch my artistic comfort zone, then I will have wasted the opportunity this project presents. So I went home and did this. I can see where I can learn more and improve, but I'm quite happy with the results. Doing this exercise gave me the confidence to undertake my painting from Day 19. (tomorrow) This also builds on my Day 3 painting, "Nerd Starter Kit," when I painted those glasses.

1 comment:

  1. Ha. OK, now I like the Mouthful one better. -- AS

    ReplyDelete